Wednesday, January 8, 2014

How Bout that Weather?

Windchill warning.  -40C. While its over for now, sidewalks are a complete mess, and the temperature is still well under zero C.  After the incredibly warm and dry winters we have had in the past decade, (so many Februaries with no snow) it never really occurred to me that we might have a hard time training for a half marathon in February.

So, I researched it and one thing every one agrees with is that those with asthma suffer much worse with the cold and that the week of coughing I had after the Road to Hope when I walked for 4.5 hours at race pace in 2 C weather was normal for asthmatics.  Suggestion:  don't train in the cold.  Then there was the 27hour bout of sneezing when I breathed through my nose instead of my mouth at the Santa Shuffle in -5C weather.  Ow.  Lessons Learned- Do not enter any timed races in the winter.  Volunteer at the 'Around the Bay Race' or at least don't do the 30K as was possibly planned.

I am really not nuts about using a treadmill but ultimately really need to do some crosstraining in the next few weeks, because missing a couple of weeks doesn't matter but missing a few months, will.  Still, I really don't want to do the whole gym membership thing since I doubt once the weather improves, I will use it much.  Who knows?  Maybe January will be awesome from here on out?  I remember going to the gym in shorts in various Januaries.

I do have a swimming membership at Dalewood and I suppose I could do that.
I could find an interval training video.
I can walk when the weather is nice but right now the sidewalks are insanely slippy.  All the training in bad weather advice tells you NOT to get injured! Apparently we should be going up to 6 C on Sunday, so that is good.

I need to keep remembering that the hard part is getting out the door.  Really, really.  because this is a massive challenge for me.  I am not motivated to do anything but walk.  Positive attitude is not helping.  I think maybe just doing it will.  Laps at Dalewood make sense really and there is adult swim almost every day.

Now you get to see how I handle stuff when I don't have a positive attitude. Thunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment